Total time: 35 minutes | Serves 4
Note: Black onion and fenugreek seeds are available at Indian markets.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 teaspoon black onion seeds (kalonji), optional
- 2 small red boiling potatoes, quartered
- 1 Japanese eggplant, quartered
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Thai green chiles or serrano chiles, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound flatfish filets, such as halibut, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish
Step 1Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin, fennel, mustard, fenugreek and optional black onion seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the potatoes and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggplant and fry for 2 more minutes. Add the turmeric and chiles.
Step 2Add the water, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, 10 minutes. Add the fish and allow to simmer until the fish turns opaque and is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with the cilantro.
187 calories; 144 mg sodium; 35 mg cholesterol; 6 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 24 grams protein; 1.50 grams fiber.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Fish and shellfish