Total time: 55 minutes | Serves 4 to 6
Note: From Raunaq Savur of Rasa Catering. Sev, fine, crisp chickpea flour noodles, and Khatta Meetha, an Indian version of Chex Mix, are available at Indian markets. Serve with red chili chutney, green chutney and date and tamarind chutney. The chutney can be made in advance. This is a spicy dish. To reduce the heat, use one-half jalapeno or reduce the amount of chutneys added.
Red chili chutney
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sev
Step 1Combine the lemon juice, water, garlic, chili powder, paprika and sev in a blender and blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Makes two-thirds cup.
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup sev
- 3 cups (about 8 ounces) Khatta Meetha
- 1 cup chopped onions, divided
- 1 cup diced de-seeded Roma tomatoes, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced, boiled, peeled russet potatoes, divided
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons date and tamarind chutney, plus more to pass (see related recipe)
- 3 tablespoons green chutney, plus more to pass (see related recipe)
- 2 tablespoons red chili chutney, plus more to pass
- Salt, pepper
Step 1Mix the peanuts, sev and Khatta Meetha in a baking pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.
Step 2Place the baked mixture in a large serving bowl. Add the one-half cup onions, one-half cup tomatoes, three-fourths cup potatoes, the jalapeno, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons date and tamarind chutney, 3 tablespoons green chutney and 2 tablespoons red chili chutney.
Step 3Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and serve immediately. Place the remaining onions, tomatoes and potatoes in small bowls and set out with additional amounts of the chutneys for guests to add as desired.
Each of 6 servings:
343 calories; 12 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 23 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 491 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Appetizers