Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes | Serves 8
Note: From Brandon Boudet at Dominick's.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 Button or brown mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/3 pound ground pork
Step 1Heat a small skillet with the oil and saute the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms and parsley for about 5 minutes. Add the fennel and red pepper flakes and cook 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cool slightly.
Step 2In a large bowl combine the cooked vegetables with the bread crumbs, egg, salt and ground meats and mix well. Form into meatballs the size of a nickel. Set aside. Makes about 32 meatballs.
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, lightly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 ounces raw spinach, stems removed, lightly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken or meat broth
- 32 meatballs
- 2 room-temperature eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Step 1In an 8-quart pot, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil for 4 minutes. Add the chard and spinach and cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 2Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and simmer 30 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Step 3When ready to serve, drizzle the raw eggs into the broth slowly in a circular motion to create large strands of cooked egg. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
233 calories; 17 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 14 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 112 mg. cholesterol; 499 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Main courses