Total time: 20 minutes | Serves 6
Note: Morgan is co-author of "Cooking for the Week: Leisurely Weekend Cooking for Easy Weekday Meals," (Chronicle Books, $18.95).
- 1/3 cup homemade or store-bought pesto
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 French baguette, about 20 inches long
- 2 tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices grilled Japanese eggplant
- 5 (1/4-inch-thick) slices grilled sweet onion, such as Walla Walla or Maui
- 1 (8-ounce) ball whole-milk fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced and blotted dry
- 12 to 14 large basil leaves
Step 1Stir together the pesto and olive oil in a small bowl until thoroughly blended.
Step 2Slice the baguette in half lengthwise. Spread a layer of the pesto mixture on the bottom half of the baguette, covering the cut side of the bread completely. Arrange the tomato slices on top. Sprinkle the tomatoes with some freshly ground pepper. Next, layer the grilled eggplant slices, and then the rounds of grilled onion. Top with slices of mozzarella. Arrange the fresh basil on top. Cover with the top half of the bread. Cut crosswise to make six sandwiches and serve, or wrap individually in plastic wrap and take on a picnic.
424 calories; 690 mg sodium; 32 mg cholesterol; 21 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 47 grams carbohydrates; 16 grams protein; 3.99 grams fiber.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Sandwiches