Total time: 30 minutes | Serves 6
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Step 1Roughly chop the garlic and then add the oregano, salt and pepper. Chop the mixture together and use the side of a knife or a mortar and pestle to make a grainy herb paste.
Step 2Transfer the paste to a large salad bowl, and add the lemon juice and vinegar. Mix with a fork, allowing the salt to dissolve, then add the oil and whisk with a fork until well combined. The dressing should be thick with garlic and oregano.
Salad and assembly
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into fine rings
- 1/2 pound provolone, sliced 1/4 -inch thick then cut into 1/2 -inch ribbons
- 1/2 pound salami, peeled, sliced 1/4 -inch thick then cut into 1/2 -inch ribbons
- 4 medium or 8 small pickled pepperoncini, sliced into rings
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes
- Sea salt
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored, and cut in ribbons 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch wide
- 1 head radicchio, cored and cut in ribbons 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch wide
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano for garnish (optional, preferably Sicilian or Turkish)
Step 1Gently fold the chickpeas, red onion, provolone, salami, pepperoncini (including seeds and juice) into the dressing, one at a time. Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Set aside until ready to serve.
Step 2When ready to serve, gently add the tomatoes, lettuce and radicchio to the salad bowl, along with a couple of generous pinches of oregano, and toss to combine with the dressing. Serve immediately.
490 calories; 23 grams protein; 25 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams fiber; 34 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 56 mg. cholesterol; 2,285 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Quick and easy