Total time: 5 minutes | Makes 1/2 cup
Note: From Farid Zadi. Literally "the head of the shop," this is the Algerian term for a curry-like mixture of spices. Zadi used the following spices for the tagine recipe, but he emphasizes that there is no single recipe; you must "follow your nose" to give a combination of sweet, hot and floral aromas.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon of mixed peppercorns (black, white, green, pink), plus a few extra black peppercorns
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Step 1Grind the coriander, fennel, peppercorns, cumin and sesame seeds in a pepper mill or mortar. Mix with ground nutmeg and turmeric. Store in a tightly sealed jar.
7 calories; 0 protein; 0 carbohydrate; 0 fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 2 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Sauces and condiments