Total time: 20 minutes | Serves 2 to 4
Note: Adapted from a recipe by Melissa King. This recipe can be made with fish fillets or steaks, though whole fish is preferred for the Chinese New Year.
- 1 whole fish (such as grouper, snapper or bass), scaled and cleaned, skin scored
- 1 inch ginger root, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, heated in a pan
- Chili oil, if desired, for serving
Step 1Stuff the cavity of the fish with ginger, green onions and cilantro and place in a 2-inch-deep dish that can be placed in a steamer. Steam the fish until it is fully cooked, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the fish, draining any excess liquid. Place the fish on a platter, and drizzle over the combined sweet and light soy sauces. Garnish the fish with additional cilantro and green onion, then drizzle over the hot sesame oil before serving.
Each of 4 servings
Calories 221; Protein 26 grams; Carbohydrates 1 gram; Fiber 0; Fat 12 grams; Saturated fat 2 grams; Cholesterol 48 mg; Sugar 1 gram; Sodium 808 mg
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Fish and shellfish