Total time: 3 minutes | Serves 1
Note: From Brian Barnes, bartender at the San Fernando bar. To make the purée, blend 6 ounces strawberries with 1 ounce hot water until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan and season to taste with sugar, then heat, stirring until the sugar is melted. Strain before using. This makes a scant ½ cup purée.
- 2 ounces of good rye whiskey, preferably Templeton Rye
- 3/4 ounces strawberry purée
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 bar spoon (teaspoon) cherry balsamic vinegar, preferably black cherry
- 3 dashes cherry bitters
- Sliced strawberry, for garnish
Step 1In a shaker, combine the whiskey, purée, lemon juice, vinegar and bitters. Shake with ice and strain over an ice sphere in a bucket or old-fashioned glass. Garnish with the sliced strawberry.
Calories 147; protein 0; carbohydrates 5 grams; fiber 0; Fat 0; cholesterol 0; sugar 3 grams; sodium 15 mg