Total time: 8 minutes | Makes about 2/3 cup soy sauce
Note: This sweetened, spiced soy sauce is the secret ingredient in the glorious, garlicky dressing used for Sichuan wontons. Light soy sauce, tamari soy sauce and Sichuan pepper are available at select well-stocked grocery stores as well as Asian markets.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons light or tamari soy sauce
- 1/3 cinnamon stick or a piece of cassia bark
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/3 ounce piece of ginger, crushed slightly
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Step 1In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds, star anise, peppercorns, ginger and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Cover and store in a cool, dry place until ready to use.
Each of 4 servings:
Calories 14; Protein 1 gram; Carbohydrates 3 grams; Fiber 0; Fat 0; Cholesterol 0; Sugar 2 grams;
Sodium 550 mg.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Sauces and condiments