Total time: 35 minutes, plus overnight drying time for the bread | Serves 4 to 6
- 3 cups sturdy (about 1/2 -inch) bread cubes
- 6 medium very ripe tomatoes (plum or small heirlooms, about 1 1/2 pounds), diced medium
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Kirby cucumber (also known as pickling cucumbers, small and unwaxed), quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 1 small bunch (2 cups) wild arugula, trimmed, washed and dried well
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, fried crisp
Step 1Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and leave them out overnight to dry.
Step 2In a large bowl, combine the bread, tomatoes, vinegar and oil. Toss to mix. Let stand 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the bread is softened but not soggy.
Step 3Add the cucumber, onion, olives and arugula and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more vinegar if desired. Just before serving, crumble the pancetta over the top.
Each of 6 servings:
225 calories; 5 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 16 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 4 mg. cholesterol; 247 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Appetizers