Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes | Makes 24 deviled eggs
Note: Adapted from a recipe by chef Daniel Patterson of Alta restaurant in San Francisco.
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon dehydrated onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic flakes (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon Maldon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Dash of celery seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
Step 1In a spice grinder or food processor, combine the onion, garlic, caraway and salt, and pulse a few times to coarsely break up. Move the spice blend to a bowl and stir in the fennel, poppy, celery and sesame seeds. This makes a scant ¼ cup spice blend. Store, tightly covered, in a cool, dry place.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped chervil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Prepared Everything spice
- Ground paprika
- Olive oil
Step 1In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the egg yolks, mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, chives, chervil and white vinegar. Season with ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste. This makes about 1 ½ cups yolk mixture. Press the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, then place in a piping bag.
Step 2Pipe the filling into the egg whites, dust with Everything spice and a little paprika, then finish with a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
Each deviled egg:
Calories 88; Protein 3 grams; Carbohydrates 1 gram; Fiber 0; Fat 8 grams; Saturated fat 2 grams; Cholesterol 96 mg; Sugar 0; Sodium 90 mg.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Appetizers