Total time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours chilling | Serves 10 to 12
Note: Shulman is author of "Mediterranean Light" and "Provencal Light" (both published by William Morrow).
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound imported green olives, such as picholines, pitted (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 anchovy filets, soaked, if salt-cured, about 5 minutes in water and drained
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs or sprigs, for garnish
Step 1Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. When it is chopped, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides. Add the olives, capers, anchovies, almonds, rosemary and mustard. Blend together until fairly smooth. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper and continue to blend until you have a smooth paste. Scrape into an attractive serving bowl and garnish with herbs. Refrigerate 2 hours until ready to serve.
Each of 12 servings:
70 calories; 546 mg sodium; 4 mg cholesterol; 8 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 4 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 1.69 grams fiber.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Sauces and Condiments