Total time: 10 minutes | Makes 2 cups
Note: Molcajetes, lava stone mortar and pestles, are widely available at Latino markets and selected cookware stores.
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 heaping tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro plus cilantro leaves with little stems for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 large avocados or 4 small avocados
- 4 ounces ripe tomatoes, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Step 1In a molcajete, grind together the onions, chiles, chopped cilantro and salt to a paste.
Step 2Cut the avocados into halves, remove the pits and spoon the flesh into the molcajete. Mash the avocado into the onion-chile mixture until it is a uniform texture, but not smooth (it should still have some lumps).
Step 3Stir in the tomatoes and lime juice, adjust the seasoning and top with the cilantro leaves.
36 calories; 0 protein; 2 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 3 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 57 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Appetizers