Total time: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking time for the mustard | Makes about 1 2/3 cups mustard
- About 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces) brown mustard seeds
- Scant 1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) black mustard seeds
- About 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) mustard powder
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup flat hard apple cider
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 Granny Smith or similar tart apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
Step 1Soak the mustard seeds: Place the mustard seeds and powder in a medium glass or ceramic bowl along with the cider vinegar and hard cider. Set aside, covered (not airtight), for 24 hours.
Step 2Place the mixture in a food processor along with the salt and sugar, and process for 1 to 2 minutes until the seeds are coarsely ground. Add the chopped apple and pulse a few times to incorporate. This makes about 1 2/3 cups mustard.
Step 3The mustard will be very pungent at first. Cover and refrigerate for a few days (or to taste) before using.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Sauces and Condiments