Total time: 40 minutes | Serves 4
Note: My husband and I find that having this salad every day is a useful, enjoyable diet aid. Although it's most delicious with its traditional dressing of olive oil and fresh lemon juice, it's so good that you can get by with very little dressing, or even, for days after too much feasting, none at all. The salad is at its best if you cut the cucumbers, jicama and tomatoes in small dice, preferably 3/8 inch, but in any case no larger than 1/2 inch.
- 3 pickling or Persian cucumbers or 2/3 hothouse cucumber, cut in 3/8-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 (1/2-pound) piece jicama, peeled, cut in 3/8-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 5 ripe but firm plum tomatoes, cut in 3/8-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce or cayenne pepper, optional
Step 1Mix the cucumbers, jicama, tomatoes and green onions in a shallow bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice and salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
126 calories; 91 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 7 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 15 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams protein; 5.42 grams fiber.