Total time: 1 hour | Serves 6 to 8
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 pound clam meat, strained and chopped, juice reserved
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- Salt, pepper
- 1/2 pound white fish filet, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup whipping cream
Step 1Cook the onion and celery in the butter over medium heat until tender. Add the flour and stir to mix well, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the potatoes, milk, reserved clam juice, half the parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 minutes.
Step 2Add the chopped clams and fish and cook until the fish is tender, 10 minutes. Add the whipping cream. Bring the chowder to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning. Add the remaining parsley and stir well.
Note: You'll need 4 to 5 pounds of clams to get 1 pound of clam meat, or you can substitute 3 (6-ounce) cans minced clams.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Fish and Shellfish