Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes | Makes 4 cups
Note: From Auguste Escoffier's "Ma Cuisine."
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium ( 1/2 pound) onion
- 1 pound ripe red sweet peppers, washed, cored, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spices (mace, allspice, nutmeg)
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
Step 1Put the oil in a saucepan. Chop the onion very fine, add to the pan and fry over low heat until softened. Add the peppers, salt, ginger and mixed spices, and simmer 10 minutes.
Step 2Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, raisins and sugar. Add the vinegar; cook over very low heat, covered, at least 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
21 calories; 0 protein; 3 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 1 gram fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 19 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Sauces and Condiments