Total time: 45 minutes | Serves 4 (makes 20 [1-inch] or 4 medium latkes)
Note: From "The Swedish Table."
- 1 medium beet, boiled or roasted, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1 medium russet potato, boiled, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, peeled, grated ( 1/4 cup) and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ( 1/4 stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
Step 1In a medium bowl, combine the grated beet and potato with the onion, bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2In a large skillet, melt the butter with the olive oil. Form small patties with the beet mixture and place on paper towels to drain. Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Garnish with creme fraiche and chives.
208 calories; 4 grams protein; 13 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 16 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 76 mg. cholesterol; 499 mg. sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Appetizers