Total time: 15 minutes, plus 1 1/2 to 2 days soaking time for the mustard seeds | Makes about 2 1/2 cups mustard
Note: Adapted from "The Mustard Book" by Rosamond Man and Robin Weir.
- About 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (5 ounces) brown mustard seed
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened red grape juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons very coarse salt, such as Maldon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, finely ground
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (1 1/2 ounces) untoasted pine nuts
Step 1Soak the mustard seeds: Place the mustard seeds in a medium glass or ceramic bowl along with the vinegar and grape juice. Mix in the salt and cumin seeds. Set aside, covered (but not sealed airtight), for 36 to 48 hours.
Step 2Place the mixture in a food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes until the seeds are coarsely ground. Add the almonds and pine nuts and pulse a few times just until the nuts are completely broken up, careful not to over-process.
33 calories; 1 gram protein; 2 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 2 grams fat; 0 saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 1 gram sugar; 57 mg sodium.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at email@example.com
More recipes in Sauces and Condiments