1 hour 25 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- 12 pitted Medjool dates (about 9 ounces), quartered
- 2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (10 ⅛ ounces; see Baker’s Note), plus more for rolling
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for egg wash
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (8 ounces; see Baker’s note)
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 1 drop pink gel food coloring (or a few drops of water-based red food coloring)
- Pink nonpareils, pink sanding or sparkling sugar, and flaky sea salt, to garnish
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Note: When measuring flour or powdered sugar, spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. Scooping compacts the ingredients, resulting in dry baked goods. And if using a stand mixer, use a rubber spatula to scrape the bottom of the bowl and the paddle after beating the butter and sugar together and after the dough is mixed to ensure the ingredients are evenly mixed throughout.