Total time: 50 minutes | Serves 4
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cored and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Hot pepper sauce
Step 1Combine the pineapple, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, lime zest and juice. Add salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
Step 2Cover and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature. (Makes about 3 1/2 cups.)
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 canned chipotle pepper, seeded, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 20 large raw shrimp, peeled
- 4 wood or bamboo skewers, soaked in water for a half-hour
- Pineapple-lime salsa
Step 1Combine the tamarind paste, chipotle, garlic, salt and brown sugar. Add the shrimp and toss to coat evenly.
Step 2Thread 5 shrimp onto each skewer, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead to this point.
Step 3Grill the skewers over medium-hot coals until the shrimp is pink and opaque, 3 minutes per side. Serve with pineapple-lime salsa.
Note: From "Grilling: Where There's Smoke There's Flavor," by Eric Treuille and Birgit Erath. We've halved the amount of salt called for by the authors.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Fish and Shellfish