Total time: 40 minutes | Serves 4
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup watermelon reduction
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Step 1In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallot, garlic, mustard and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the watermelon reduction, then whisk in the oil until fully incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This makes about 1 1/3 cups vinaigrette, more than is needed for the remainder of the recipe; the vinaigrette will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 1 week.
Tomato and watermelon salad
- 4 tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided, more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided, more to taste
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably French feta
- 8 to 10 basil leaves, torn (preferably opal basil)
- 8 to 10 mint leaves, torn (preferably Persian mint)
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/3 cup watermelon vinaigrette, or to taste
Step 1Cut the tomatoes into wedges and spread them out on a sheet pan. Season with one-half teaspoon each salt and pepper and set aside for 15 minutes.
Step 2In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, watermelon, onion, feta, basil, mint and arugula. Gently toss in the vinaigrette. Taste and season with one-fourth teaspoon each salt and pepper, or to taste. Add additional vinaigrette to taste as desired before serving.
Note: Adapted from the Hungry Cat in Hollywood. To make a watermelon reduction, juice all or part of a watermelon (using a juicer, a blender or food processor and straining), then simmer until the juice is reduced by half.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Quick and Easy