Total time: 25 minutes plus 2 hours chilling | Serves 8 to 10
Note: Shulman is author of "Mediterranean Light" and "Provencal Light" (both published by William Morrow).
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound imported black olives, pitted (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 4 anchovy filets, soaked, if salt-packed, about 5 minutes in water and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can water-packed or oil-packed tuna, drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs or sprigs, for garnish
Step 1Turn on a food processor and drop in the garlic. When it is chopped, turn off the machine and scrape down the sides. Add the olives, capers, anchovies, tuna, thyme, rosemary and mustard. Blend together until fairly smooth. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper and continue to blend until you have a smooth paste. Scrape into an attractive serving bowl and garnish with herbs. Refrigerate 2 hours until ready to serve.
Each of 10 servings:
60 calories; 507 mg sodium; 10 mg cholesterol; 5 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams protein; 0.70 gram fiber.
Have a specific question about a recipe or found a problem? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
More recipes in Sauces and Condiments